Established in 1974, Maui Architectural Group—the island's most experienced firm—has enjoyed the accomplishment of a full and varied portfolio. This includes projects as diverse as:
- luxury ocean front homes to hi-tech genetic research and silicone chip coating facilities
- major visitor attractions to historic preservation projects
- parochial school campuses to boutique hotels drafting and enforcement of design guidelines to creation of small town zoning and development ordinances
- shopping centers and large commercial buildings to vernacular design plantation town buildings
- multi-family condominiums to senior citizen assisted living units
- restaurants to second homes
- modest single family residential projects to major recreation facilities
- humble unadorned, unacknowledged garage additions to AIA Award of Excellence winners
Created by Jim Niess and two other Maui architects, Maui Architectural Group has been producing significant designs across the state since 1974. Educated at the University of Minnesota and holding a Master's degree from the University of Southern California, Jim has managed the firm since its inception.
Peter Niess provides second generation leadership at the firm. After achieving degrees in Urban Planning from ASU's College of Architecture & a Master's of Architecture from New School of Architecture & Design, Peter served an apprenticeship in Coronado, San Diego. Working construction during the summers and in college gave Peter experience in the actual building process adding technical competence and complementing his design experience at university.
After serving his apprenticeship, Peter returned home to Maui and since November 2007 he has been a part of the Maui Architectural Group team where he has managed the design of diverse projects ranging from 30,000 sq. ft. commercial buildings to simple plantation homes.
After four decades providing the day to day management and vision for the firm, Jim now focuses primarily on design for clients and operational support for the firm. Peter, now president of the corporation, has assumed the role of Principal in Charge.
From humble, unadorned and unacknowledged garage additions to AIA Award of Excellence winners, Maui Architectural Group takes pride in the quality of work we do and the excellent service we provide our clients.
We look forward to an opportunity to assist with the design and construction management of your project.
Peter and Jim Niess